Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Embrace the Dirt Nap: New at Reason

By Reason Staff - October 30, 2018 at 07:01AM

In the latest issue of Reason J.D. Tuccille writes about learning to "die well." A snippet:

My father died in bed just about the time our plane set down on the tarmac at BWI airport. It was earlier than we expected—but maybe just what he'd hoped for.

"I guess this is it," he'd told me days earlier when he called to say the doctors had run out of ideas for fighting his cancer. They gave him anywhere from two weeks to two months. To play it on the safe side, I booked the first available flight east. My sister planned to drive over the same day so we could have a family visit and a collective send-off.

My son Anthony and I traveled light and made good time. We arrived to the house maybe 45 minutes after wheels down. But when she opened the door, my mother shook her head, unable to speak at first. My sister and her family, having arrived immediately before us, stood in the hallway behind her.

View this article.



Read Entire Article Here: Reason Magazine Articles

via IFTTT